Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Things that make you go...

...hmmm....

This story. Is it a true shouldering of responsibility or just a political ploy to help bolster record breaking low poll numbers?

Then, this story. It looks like this man might make a good supreme court justice. Anyone who can stay unrattled during two days of senate confirmation hearings is either brilliant, a very good actor, or has some top notch drugs I'd like to try, lol. He seems to be MUCH less narrow-minded than I expected him to be and is obviously a man who understands a) what the job of a judge is according to The US Constitution and b) the concept of precedents. I'm (cautiously)impressed. Either Bush picked a good nominee or he didn't fully realize Roberts' intelligence....

This story doesn't make you go hmmmm. It makes you think, WTF!

This story shows why we still vaccinate children against certain diseases. Polio was originally slated to be eradicated by the year 2000. But each time it's close to being gone, it resurfaces again. If the people on the planet don't all kill each other off, I'm sure bacteria and viruses will. Maybe that's what happened to the dinosaurs.... (Hmmmm....)

And this story really does make you sit and go hmmmm. How bizarre.

And in case you ever wanted to WALK thru a colon.... (I'll pass thankyouverymuch.)

And yet one last story from the bizarre realm.

************************

And I babysat my nieces today and I enjoyed it! Woo Hoo! I tell ya, I think the part that made it good was that my nephew (Demon Spawn) was at school. My oldest niece (Angel Child, but she occasionally has a tarnished halo!) truly is an angel when her brother isn't around. And my youngest niece (Barfy Baby) is a treat to be around. She's all smiles and is just a ton of fun (and barfs less now that she's getting older). All she needs now is to learn some self-mobility and she'll be in heaven, lol.

And lastly, my sister calls me tonight to let me know that she found out our dad has a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Dad's been telling all of us lately that he thinks he has Parkinson's because of his shaking. (See this prior post for more background info.) His shaking is so much that he can't shave his face. (My grandpa, dad's dad, had Parkinson's for 30 years. He shaved without problem.) She found out about the appointment only after talking to dad on the phone for awhile and after a very confusing conversation that included him thinking she was pregnant with her fourth child (EEK! Nightmare!), him saying he didn't have an appointment after saying he did, and then saying he tripped over his couch last night and fell and he thinks he broke a couple ribs but decided to wait until his doctor appt tomorrow to talk to his doctor about it.... All I can do is shake my head. The man has been in and out of treatment for his alcoholism various times in his life, and even had a *little problem* with the law once too. When I was younger, the family had been to counseling together and separately. But the disease has such a grip on him - much bigger than any other thing has in his life. Always has and always will.

My sister had told me before that she was going to call his doctor and share all our (all three sisters') concerns with the doc before dad had his appointment to make sure the doctor was getting the full story. (She is his Power of Attorney and we really think the doctor doesn't know the whole story. Have I mentioned before that my dad's doctor is a friend of dad's from high school?!?!? From another state?!?!? How weird is that?) So I cornered my sister tonight and asked her if she'd called yet. She hadn't. I told her I'd be happy to call if she didn't want to or didn't have the time. She said no, she'd do it tomorrow. I then told her I was going to invoke the "Big Sister Act of 1842"* and do something horrible to her if she didn't follow through on it. LOL. I'll call her again tomorrow morning and see if she did it. Because if she doesn't, I will.

*I totally made up that "Big Sister Act of 1842". Just in case anyone thought it was real. I know you're all smart enough to know that, but I just felt I had to put this disclaimer in for some reason, lol.

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

There is to a Big Sister Act of 1842, I have envoked it and it is a necessary part of family administration ;)

 
At 4:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alcoholism is such a far reaching disease.. it has tentacles everywhere. I hope your Dad is okay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home