Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Honey I'm home!

I'm still in vacation mode - staying up late, sleeping in, eating junk food, drinking beer.... That will all come to an end VERY quickly though as I have to go back to work on Thursday. So at least the sleep schedule will change back to normal. And I MUST get the eating thing under control because in 3½ weeks, I'm to squeeze this body into a bridesmaid dress.... YIKES!

As usual, vacation was good. The first day of our trip was a halfway drive. We drove 4 hours to the big cities where our friends with the new baby live. We got to meet the baby, see the friends' home, and have dinner together. It was a very nice evening. And a pleasant reminder as to why I don't have more babies. ;)

We stayed at a hotel that night then drove the last 4 hours to the lake. It was so very nice to break the trip in parts like that. It made it feel like we had an extra day of vacation. I think we'll keep doing that in the future.

We caught some fish and threw them back since two-thirds of our family of three don't eat fish, and a full three-thirds don't clean them. The other family that goes with us, Medicine Man, Nurse in Space, and Princess*, two-thirds of them would eat fish (MM and NiS), and two-thirds of them would actually clean the fish (MM and Princess - yes, 8 year old princess wanted to learn how to clean a fish last year!) but the fishing wasn't all that hot, so it wouldn't have been a go anyhow. I'm not crushed whatsoever.

The weather was ok - cool at the beginning of the week then hot and humid at the end. One sorta yukky weather day Frodo and I went to the science museum in town. VERY cool place. Frodo held a tarantula there. YUK. He turned down holding a snake though. I would've done it the other way around. I'd hold a snake over a tarantula ANY DAY.

The best part though? No deer flies. Those little horrible.... THINGS are the scourge of the earth. I'll take the mosquitos instead. We had plenty of those by the way.

And being so close to the summer solstice, the sunset was sooooo late! I have a photo with a timestamp of 10:33pm on 6/13/06:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I think it looks almost fake. I was sitting on the dock to take the picture. We'd be out fishing in the evening and not get back to the dock until almost 10pm because there was enough light. Then we'd make some supper. (See why I'm on a weird sleeping schedule now??)

I had my church time. It was good.

And as always - I wish vacation was longer, but it's also nice to be back home.


*my best friend for 18 years(Medicine Man), his wife(Nurse in Space), and their daughter(Princess) live down the street. Our kids are interchangeable in either family. (But not the parents. We're not THAT twisted!) We all have refrigerator rights in each other's houses.

5 Comments:

At 6:09 AM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

Glad you had a good vacation this year - Isn't it a little early this year though (is that good planning on your part to avoid the deer flies?). On the note of deer flies have you tried Ultrathon by 3M for the bugs - FAB stuff.

 
At 7:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh vacation... I need one of those.

Glad you are back after refreshing yourself!

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Mel said...

Yep CM, it was very early this year. And it wansn't any planning on my part - Hubby's work changed the way they did vacation picks for this year and it messed it up for lots of people. This was the ONLY week he could get off the entire summer!!! Guys who had been working at his department for 12 years and had taken the same week for vacation for 12 years couldn't even get their usual week off.... It sucked. So Frodo got out of school on Thursday and we left Friday. ;)

I have not tried the Ultrathon before. I'll have to go find that and give it a whirl! Thanks! The deer flies are my arch enemies. ;)

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Mel said...

Thanks for the welcome back Priscilla. I highly recommend vacations. :D Definitely find one for yourself.

 
At 10:40 PM , Blogger Di said...

love the pic it almost makes you sit back and dream......

Di

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home