Sunday, January 30, 2005

Note to self...

Don't attempt a "hockey stop" while ice skating again unless wearing a helmet.

Frodo and I went ice skating last night with a friend of mine (Jen) and a friend of his (Megan). Frodo is just learning how to skate this year. I've skated a few times before in my life, but am still learning the finer points. Jen is a very good skater. Megan has never skated.

So there we are - a beautiful winter night. Not too cold, no wind. The park's rink is empty except for the four of us. The lights are on and it makes the snow glow a bright white. The only noises are our skates on the ice and our talking and laughing. Jen is giving tips and pointers to the small ones. She's showing Frodo how to do a hockey stop. I think, "I'd like to try that!". And try I did.

Next thing I know I'm falling backwards and my head actually smacks then BOUNCES on the ice. (Ouch.) Jen comes zooming over, screaming at me, "are you all right?!?!?". I say yes. She asks, "are you SURE you're all right??!?!?" I say yes again, but that I really would like to just lay there and hold my head for a moment.... And could she please check and make sure there's not a puddle of blood? After laying and holding my head for a minute, I go to the side of the rink and get myself a handful of snow and ice my bump. I am now the proud owner of a mild concussion.

So, needless to say, I feel I do NOT need to learn how to do a hockey stop. Ever. Unless I get a helmet first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home