Monday, March 13, 2006

Go Figure...

'Frodo's' birthday was this weekend. My little man is a big NINE years old now! We had a party with the whole fam-damily here. The weather was awesome - 65 and partly sunny. In the middle of it all, I got to talk to my sister. (The one with kids.)

Turns out her son (the one I call "Demon Spawn") has been diagnosed with ADHD. He's the one that all of us have had such a hard time with since he's been two. (He's 7½ now.) Of course, originally it was the "terrible twos", followed by the "terrible threes", then it was because of a new baby in the house, then in preschool it was "he's not as emotionally mature as other kids his age, which happens with boys", then in kindergarten, it was the same as preschool, then it was another new baby in the house. (Always an excuse....) Now in first grade, he has a teacher that is experienced, consistently present, and observant. She says he's the smartest kid in her class, but he just can't focus. At all. And he's very impulsive. (No way! - please read the last two words with sarcasm, lol.) He actually will describe (without prompting) having disconnected thoughts by saying, "I have a thought, then another one pops in and makes me forget the first one, and it just keeps going on like that over and over." Interesting observation for a first grader....

My sister went home after the doctor's appointment confirming the diagnosis and talked to her hubby about it. They decided to go ahead and start him on medication. She was telling me about this and I was trying my hardest to be all supportive. I hope I didn't come across with any inkling of an 'I told you so' look or voice. I really am happy that she's taken this step!

It took her a looooooong time to finally come to the realization that her son's behavior wasn't *normal*. I hate using the word "normal", but I can't come up with anything else right now. There's just *something* about him that isn't quite right. I'm one that easily tolerates curiousity and busy-ness and all sorts of behaviors like that, but the impulsive, turbulent, and occasionaly physically violent behavior was beyond appropriate. The whole family (not only our mom, but my sis's inlaws as well!) wants to write this teacher a thank you note for getting my sister to finally see the light. I hope the medication does the trick for him. Goodness knows there's plenty others in our family on medications for various things! He might as well join the bunch! (Better living through chemistry!! LOL!)

Now, to set the record straight, I'm NOT a *throw a pill at it* person for everything. Unless the pill is needed. Professionally, I work with a pediatrician who specializes in treating ADD patients, and I've seen the remarkable turn-around some of these kids have made. You can tell their body needs the medication for stability (think of a diabetic and insulin). I've also seen kids come in who wouldn't benefit from medication, but WOULD benefit from better parenting. Or psychotherapy. Or both. I DO struggle with the balance between the good and bad effects medication can have on a growing child. But speaking from personal experience, I myself would've MUCH rather have had taken medication as a teenager and lived a less depressed life during that time and would've happily lived with any consequences that medication would've had. Childhood is the foundation of life. If it has a good start, the foundation is strong and stable for the remainder of one's years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home