Thursday, August 10, 2006

Why is the workplace like family?

Sometimes in a good way, like a favorite aunt or a cousin you love to be with. Sometimes not, like a sibiling that drives you insane.

Fortunately, I work at a place where it's like family in the good way. I enjoy the people I share my time with as they are kind, caring, and just enjoyable to be around. It hasn't always been that way. I have worked with people that belonged in a mental institution as well. All I have to say to certain people is the word "Jan" and they get shivers up and down their spine. And to other people the word is "Brenda" and just thinking about her makes all of us cringe.

Currently, one of my all-time favorite coworkers has left. (I told her she was a great big brat and I hope she gets a giant zit on the tip of her nose.) She got a new job at a place that is closer to her home and can also guarantee 9 times out of 10 that she will get out at her scheduled time. It's a much better situation for her. She's been gone all of 2 days and I miss her.

I've already promised the doctor I work for that I won't leave again until he retires unless something out of my control causes it. I worked for him full time before I had Frodo. Then after Frodo was born, I wanted to go back to work part-time, but he wanted a full time staffer. So I found a new job at a pediatric urgent care clinic where I saw him on occasion. He would ask me, "when are you going to come back and work for me?" and I'd answer, "when you give me part-time hours." It was like a running joke between the two of us. The joke went on for four years.

One evening, he walks in and starts the joke all up, but he finishes with, "You've talked me into it. Will you come back part-time?" It turned out the current full-time staffer he had was looking for part-time hours as well. He said, "For the two of you, I'll do it." So for the past 5 years, she and I have shared one position with him. And since hubby is *fixed*, there won't be any pregnancy to throw a wrench into anything.

He won't retire for about 10 more years, so I've got a little job security. ;)

In the meantime, I'm at the point in my life where I'm considering going back to school to increase my degree a bit. For when that 10 years runs out. Maybe I'm the one that belongs in the mental institution!

1 Comments:

At 6:27 AM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

GO!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home