Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Go figure!

Mom went home from the hospital today. They were doing the "advance diet as tolerated" bit, so every time they brought her something to eat, they increased the "complexity" of the item. For supper last night, she had mashed potatoes, apple crisp, and pork tenderloin! And she felt like going home. So the doc said all was looking well and we'll see ya later!

***************************************

We have a riding lawn mower that is stored in a shed and it only comes out in the fall when all the leaves start blanketing the yard. This year, I tried getting it out and running, like I do every fall. But this year, it wouldn't start. I'd turn the key and get nuthin'. Not even a *click* noise. So I proceeded to check everything I could think of - I checked the battery. (Charged and fine.) I checked the gas tank. (Small amount, just to get it going.) I checked the oil. (Looks good.) I made sure all the safety precautions were correct - someone sitting on the seat, depressing the clutch pedal, and the cutting deck is raised. So out came the owner's manual with the "troubleshooting" section. As soon as it started saying things such as "get two wires and cross them over the selenoid" I knew I was in too deep. So I called a service that actually comes to your home and does work on small engines.

He came the following day. Nice guy. I watched what he was doing so I could learn a little bit. He started by doing the same steps I did. Then he did the "cross to wires across the selenoid" thing, except he used two screwdrivers. We got spark and appropriate noise. So that part is fine. He figured we had a bad ignition switch, and installed a new one. No change. He asks me for the owner's manual with the electrical diagram. (I already had it open to that page as I had perused it myself the previous day.) He says that he could load it up in his truck, take it back to his shop, test all the wires, and try to figure it out but that would probably run me a couple hundred bucks.

"Do you want to spend that kind of money on a 16 year old lawn tractor?" he asks.

"Uh, not really", I reply.

"Well, there's one other thing you can do. But I can't do it myself because of liability. But if you're interested, I can tell you exactly what to do. And it'll only run you about 10 bucks total" he says.

"Speak to me!" I say.

He proceeds to tell me he thinks maybe one of the safety switches is bad. Doesn't know which one, but they can easily be bypassed. All I need to do is go to the automotive section of the local *Farm and Barn* store and buy a switch. He describes the switch to me. And I'll need some wire if I don't already have some. After I get home with that shopping list of goodies, I am to drill an appropriate sized hole in the fender of the old lawn tractor - near this selenoid. Then I can attach a couple wires to the switch and a couple wires to the selenoid, and *voila!*, I can push the button to start the mower.

I tell ya, I learn something new every day.

So I went shopping. Came home with the bounty from the farm store. And I installed the switch all by myself. The retired neighbor across the street came over to ask what I was doing and he was impressed. I tell ya, I would MUCH rather do this kind of thing instead of the dreadful cleaning, laundry, and cooking crap.

It took me about an hour. I got it all hooked up. I just *had* to try and start it. I pressed the button. The engine was trying to turn over, but wouldn't catch, so I released the starter button and let it rest a moment. Then I pressed again. It tried again, and I did not get the desired result. Rest again little red lawn tractor....

One last try - I press the button. Once again, it's trying to start, but not quite making it. I release the button. Uh oh. It won't stop trying. Oh crap. I jiggle the button, I press and release it again. Nothing stopping. (But the engine not starting either.) I jump off the seat only to notice smoke/steam coming from underneath. I quick grab a screwdriver and unhook one of the wires and it finally stops. And something smells. It's now late and dark. But at least my garage is not on fire. So I go to bed somewhat satisfied that I was able to get the machine to at least *try*! I was electrocuted as a child after sticking a key into a light socket and I have had a very healthy respect for electricity ever since. So this was a big step for me to attempt this! (Any one else singing the schoolhouse rock "Electricity" song right now? Or is it just me?)

Today, I volunteered in the school libray then spent the afternoon trapped indoors at a stupid computer class for work. (System upgrade! Yee haw. Reread that with sarcasm if you missed it the first time.) I never got to check and see if I fried some wires. I'll tackle that again later. For now, the tall grass praire that is my yard will just have to wait for it's trim.

And I'm just a rambling fool tonight. I'm struggling a bit with my depression crapola. I've talked with others who are also struggling recently as well. I hate this part of this time of year. I wish the rain would stop so I could play outside more. Sigh. I did play hooky from work on Tuesday afternoon this week, and that was good. :)

3 Comments:

At 7:10 AM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

Holy heck get out - you're becoming a small engine mechanic before my eyes & scaring the crap out of me at the same time. I would never ever ever in a million zillion years hook anything up to anything (bawk bawk bawk). And, when my DH does stuff like that I freak the hell out. So, now you can imagine me doing the freaked out chicken dance in my chair as I read this.

 
At 9:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cursing Mama, I think we are all imagining that and dying laughing.

Depression, it's no laughing matter. Hey, think I made up a new PSA.

I'm fighting it, too, Mel and we haven't had that much gloomy weather. Hugs

 
At 3:22 PM , Blogger KinnicChick said...

WOOHOO! The freakin' sun is out down here today. I hope you have some too. And girl, I'm so in awe of you and your electrical prowess. I don't know if you were reading 500miles during the days of my mowing escapades before my dad needed adventures of his own and spent more time than I did coming out to mow the field at our place (he really needed to get out of the house and this gave him an escape), but you and I are kindred spirits with our mowers. You have a lawn tractor teenager, and I had one that ACTED like a senior citizen. And I only WISH I'd had one that came with a manual so in-depth as to give those kinds of directions. Now they figure they'd have lawsuits from such practices, so they would never encourage wiring tests, heh.

Way to go! Good luck with further work, though. Hope you get it started.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home