Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Grandma's outta the hospital and the stray cat never came back

That pretty much sums it all up.

After being put in the hospital and having all sorts of tests run, they found nothing physically wrong with grandma. She was sent back to the nursing home where she still refuses to walk and refuses to eat. She's combative with the staff - hitting and scratching at them. The decision was made not to put in a feeding tube - she'd most likely only rip it out anyhow. Goodness help me, but if I ever get that far gone when I'm old, I hope I have the decency to off myself instead of putting everyone else through so much.

I'm struggling with the "should I visit her" feelings. I don't have a close relationship with her. She has no clue who I am. She doesn't recognize her own daughter. What do you think?

******************************

The calico never came back. I asked around the neighborhood if any others had seen her. Turns out about halfway up the block, there are two houses that have trouble with her trying to move into their garage all the time. Any of them would be happy to take them in, except she "belongs" (I'm using that term loosely...) to another family a little farther up the block. This family has basically abandoned her. She had kittens about 12-14 weeks ago. They don't take care of her at all. But then again, they don't do a very good job of taking care of their 6 year old child either. If I see the calico again, I'll probably take her to the humane society where she can get a good home. She's such a sweetie, I'm sure anyone would be happy to have her. If I already didn't have a spoiled rotten cat, I'd take her in!

3 Comments:

At 8:03 AM , Blogger KinnicChick said...

My opinion about visiting grandma, since you asked... This is a totally personal thing and you'll have to ask yourself if you are going to feel guilt in the future based upon if you didn't go to see her. My grandma wasn't as bad as yours in the dementia state or whatever it is you describe and had a good day once in a while where she really did know people. Those days were so few and far between, though. I did not go to see her for the last 18 months to maybe three years. I can't even tell you how long it was. And no, I don't feel guilty about that. My mother went multiple times a week. Others went regularly. It just wasn't worth the heartache to me and I brought her no comfort whereas there were others who were doing for her what I could not do. Personal choice, dear. I am okay with the choice I made. Only you can answer that for yourself.

 
At 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Visit her in your memories. That's enough.

 
At 10:53 AM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

What KinnicChick said.....
I visited my Grandfather - it was bad - and thats what is stuck in my most recent memory. I would've much rather stuck with the times riding the big John Deere tractor with him.

That's why I didn't go see my Grandma - and I wish I had the chance to say goodbye.

It's a tough call, good wishes making your decision.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home