Thursday, November 01, 2007

Proof that God isn't always on your side

I was pleased to find this news story this morning:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/funeral.protest/index.html

I'm all for First Amendment rights. This group has been to my town to "share" their "message". And I feel they have every right to be in a public space speaking their mind, even if I don't agree with what they are saying. But they completely crossed the line by attending funerals to protest. The church members' lawyers argued the funeral was a public event. I do not agree. And I'm so very glad the jury in this case agreed with my thoughts on this as well.

My only worry is that this might be the start of many lawsuits that could limit free speech.

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM , Blogger KinnicChick said...

I gotta tell you that I'm right there with you on this issue.

After first hearing of this group during the Matthew Shepard funeral, I haven't heard of them since without getting a little sick in my heart. I am usually pretty tolerant of free speech as well, but there is a time and a place for everything, and a funeral isn't the place for this.

 
At 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pleasantly surprised by this bit of news.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home