Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My basement.

It flooded.

We had a record rainfall late last summer. That was followed by record snowfall this winter. Then this past weekend, we had another heavy rainfall. Sometime between 3:30am and 2pm on Saturday, our sump pump decided it was done working and punched out. Permanently. Hubby heard the sump pump run at 3:30am. We went downstairs at 2pm and were met with *squish* underfoot. In the corner of the basement by the sump pump, we had 2 inches of water. The rest of the basement was anywhere from 2 inches to barely damp.

I kept repeating the mantra, "At least it's not sewer backup. At least it's not sewer backup. At least it's not sewer backup." We dug out the shop vac and put it to work inhaling water. I placed a call to a couple friends begging for an extra shop vac and an extra dehumidifier. Both were promptly delivered along with helping hands.

I went to the home improvement store and purchased their last vertical switch sump pump. (The only kind that fits in our sump well.) I also bought a big fan. We swapped out the old pump for the new one and it works beautifully. Yay!

We then got our carpet pulled up so it could start drying. I talked to a couple people and they said we had to get the pad up ASAP to facilitate drying. So we did that. We had two dehumidifiers and two fans running and 3 days later, parts of the carpet were still wet. And now it was starting to smell.... And it wasn't flowers!

So today, I ripped out all the carpet and it's all at the curb. We just had this carpet put in 2½ years ago, so that was sad. Fortunately, we bought cheap carpet!

Everything is drying nicely now. (Concrete dries fast when it doesn't have wet carpet sitting on it. I went browsing today for replacement carpet. Hubby is going to bleach the floor tomorrow to make sure the mold is dead.

Bad parts: all the work to clean it up, the smell of wet and musty carpet, the loss of carpeting that was newer

Silver lining: It is forcing me to clean out the basement storage, I found out I can replace a sump pump, no furniture or other items weren't ruined, and it wasn't sewer water!

I hope that never happens again. What a PITA!

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

won't your homeowners insurance cover it due to the failed sump pump?

 
At 11:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celulite, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://eliminando-a-celulite.blogspot.com. A hug.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home