Friday, August 12, 2005

I'm quite enjoying...

...this mommy night. The boys are gone at a baseball game, so I am at home enjoying some spicy indian takeout, a glass of wine, and the internet. Life is good.

******************************************

My baby sister told me she called our dad to tell him about her engagement. She said he sounded drunk - was slurring his words and not making sense. She says to me, "I'll talk to him again in a week and he won't remember the conversation and will tell me I never told him." So yesterday I run into my little sister at the grocery store. (Little Sister is 3 yrs younger than me, but 7 yrs older than Baby Sister.) I tell my little sister what my baby sister said, and Little Sister insists dad was not drunk. (She is in constant denial about our dad and his drinking.) Little Sister even tells me she has spoken with dad since Baby Sister called about her engagement and he told Little Sister that Baby Sister never called.... (Surprise, surprise!) Little Sister tells me she thinks dad has Parkinson's. (Our grandpa had Parkinson's.) But guess what - there's no specifically known hereditary link to Parkinson's. And dad's symptoms look NOTHING like grandpa's symptoms. Dad's symptoms look more like DT's....

I get so tired of trying to get Little Sister to "see the light". Even when dad got all jaundiced from alcoholic hepatitis, and told us the doctor said it was from "excess fattening on his liver", she fell for it. (But guess what is a cause of excess fattening on the liver? Alcoholism!!) She is just so damn clueless.

**************************************************

I think I've done enough damage here tonight. ;) I'll come back later with something a bit more upbeat.

1 Comments:

At 6:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denial is a great coping mechanism with the disease of alcoholism in the family. I don't want to sound preachy but Alanon is a great place to learn positive ways to deal with the alcoholic in your life an the others in your life affected by alcohol. I wish you the best.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home