Thursday, November 15, 2007

Going on a stroll through the internets

So here I am, peacefully sipping my morning coffee, booting up the laptop. Up comes my homepage. It is my homepage because my ISP put it there and I've never changed it. On the page today is a news story about the House of Representatives passing a war funding bill with a timeline for withdrawl included. We all know it's going to get vetoed, and then not have the necessary majority to override the veto. The Democrats said, "they wanted voters to know they weren't giving up." Whatever. From the beginning of the change of power, the Democrats rolled over like a dog waiting for it's belly scritch. No growling, no biting. This is more akin to a tail wagging saying, "See look! I'm still friendly!"

After being thoroughly depressed by thinking about the war and the lack of balls most anyone has in Congress (there are a few that still have balls. And teeth!), I backed up to the homepage again.

There I find my next reading: an article claiming Barack Obama broke the law by not putting his hand over his heart during a playing of the national anthem. Want to know what surprised me most in this article? A link that was provided showing that it IS a law that you are to place your hand over your heart during the anthem! Holy guacamole batman! So when I'm at a ballgame, about half the crowd should be ticketed..... I'm thinking holding a beer in your hand isn't the same as holding your hand over your heart. I love reading the history behind where things such as the national anthem and the pledge of allegiance came from.

Oh look! At the and of the Obama article! A link about the history of the Pledge of Allegiance! It's a good read. One thing I got out of it that was that as long ago as the Civil War, religious zealots were stating that the terrible things that happened to the United States, happened as "divine retribution" for not being a Christian nation. I did not realize this had been going on for 150 years.... I thought it was a newer phenomenon, that had only occurred once before during the McCarthy era in the supposed "fight against godless communism".

Next article this links me to is about the state of Georgia's new drought relief plan: prayer. If it works, you know the religious right will be all over it like a cheap suit. And if it doesn't? I'm sure it will be due to punishment for our godless ways. (can you see me rolling my eyes?)

I'm done strolling the internets for now. I think I'll go play one of my additcing web games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home