Sunday, October 02, 2005

Hubby broke his glasses...

...on Saturday morning. They're still functional, but just uncomfortable as he broke one of those little nosepad things off. The whole thing broke clean off, so it's not like we can just get a new nosepad. He'd been getting reminders in the mail from his eye doctor for almost a year now telling him it's "time for your next eye exam!" and I even mentioned a couple months ago it was time to get him some new glasses. He kept putting it off. (Typical male.)

So yesterday, being a Saturday, his usual eye doctor's office is closed. And even if we ordered a set of glasses from them, it took over a month to get them last time. :( So we decided to head to the mall. Many moons ago, I was an optician and I made eyeglasses at a store hubby affectionately called "Crens Laughters". I did this for 5 years. I really liked it actually - I just got sick of my lab manager always coming into work hung over or still drunk and the store manager wouldn't do anything about it so I quit. Anyhow.... being a mall store, the turnover rate can get pretty big and I hadn't known anyone who worked there for years. But yesterday, we walked in, got hubby on the schedule to get an eye exam, picked out a pair of frames, and out of the lab walks a guy I trained there! He had returned to the job part time to make some extra $$ for a vacation his family wants to take. It was fun to catch up with him.

Turns out he can get us a deal through a friends and family discount promotion - we got 50% off frames and lenses!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!! (A $500 day turned into a $275 day! Phew!) Damn straight he should get me a discount. When we worked together, I picked his ass up from the police station at 3am once because he'd been pulled over for a DUI.... I was livid that night/day. He was eternally grateful. He owes me. LOL.

During the eye exam, the doctor says to hubby, "You've got something in your eye." She had to numb his eye to get it out as it was embedded in his eye a bit. She kept saying, "You can't feel that?!?!?" Whatever it was, his eye did a good job of encapsulating it and protecting him. He said his eye was a little itchy and sore the rest of the day from where she took the object out. We figure it's a little piece of metal from the basement remodeling stuff we'd been doing. (whups) I *told* him to put safety glasses on over his eyeglasses but he wouldn't.....

Once we got everything lined up to get the glasses made, it turns out we couldn't get them done in an hour. Hubby has a slightly funky prescription due to astigmatism, and it wasn't something they keep in stock and it needed to be special ordered. So he's still wearing his busted glasses with a little padding on them for his nose until the new lenses come in. They told us 10-14 days, but I'm hoping sooner. ;) We decided to keep the order there since hubby really liked the frames and we got such a good deal too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home