Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Out of the mouths of babes....

I'm sure you remember my recent vent about my sister.... Well, my sister called tonight and Frodo answered the phone. He says hi, and then proceeds to ask her:

"Are you calling to complain about the time of christmas again?"

Yes. He really said that.

Oh shit.

So sis and I had a loooooong talk, first about the reason she called in the first place - a wart on her son's foot and she wanted to know how to treat it at home. Then we talked about christmas. And mom. And dad. And how much it sucks to be pulled in multiple directions. And growing up in an alcoholic family and how it makes you really good at putting on the "public" face even if you're not feeling well inside.

Then after I was done talking with sis, I explained to Frodo that my sister didn't know we were complaining about her.... Just HOW do you explain this to an 8 year old? I learned my lesson - don't talk about anything in front of Frodo that you wouldn't want to have repeated!!!! ;)

2 Comments:

At 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet it sounds like you and your sister had a good conversation about it.

I am fighting off guilt this year. My FIL has cancer, and although he is doing well, you never know if this might be the last. But I want to spend Christmas with MY KIDS.

We spent years making the 500 mile trek to Arkansas and then trying to divide our time between both of our families. There was always this tug between the two.

Now this year, my son is engaged and that adds another family to the mix up here. Graciously my daughter's inlaws have decided to spend Christmas Eve with us and we are going to cook a meal and just relax.

Christmas the time when family tensions take the front seat.

God Bless you... and Frodo!!!

 
At 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours! You've been a blessing to me this year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home