Wednesday, December 21, 2005

We all survived...

...the family christmas get-together on Sunday. As she promised, sis put on her "fake smile" and seemed to have a good time. I saw my BIL briefly yesterday and asked him how she was doing and he pretty much blew off the whole thing, so I get the impression he thinks she's being unreasonable too. Oh well. What can ya do short of tying her up and dragging her into a therapist's office?

The parents tried to leave on Monday, but their car wouldn't start. It got waaaay too cold here and the gas line froze. So after pushing it into my garage, parking a space heater near it, and adding some gas line antifreeze, it finally started. Yay! No towing bill and no repair bill!

I'm still in a very *blah* mood. Looks like the winter blues have hit me. My doc suggested a light box. I bought one off eBay and have had it for 2 days now. I'm not sure if it's making a difference. I don't feel quite as tired today, but I still have no motivation. Blah. After today, we will officially start having longer days!!! Woo Hoo! Happy winter solstice!

Speaking of solstice, did you know many christian christmas traditions are of pagan origin from the ancient solstice/yule celebrations? And have you ever thought about this - traditions of ancient people celebrated the birth of the *sun* and christianity celebrates the birth of the *son* ? Did you know that early Americans tried to ban christmas because of it's pagan roots? And that many stories many of us know about christmas aren't true? I'm not trying to knock christianity on it's behind by any means - just trying to show *the big picture*. I will say publically here - I do NOT believe christianity is the ONE and ONLY true religion. But if it helps someone to lead a better and more peaceful life, then I think it's wonderful. I think group spiritual practice is important to a community. But I also think it becomes dangerous when a group claims to be the ONLY group who's beliefs can be right or can be the ONLY way to god. That's when it scares me.

1 Comments:

At 9:56 PM , Blogger nenanars said...

i love reading about the pagan practices that christianity usurped. i'd say the strategy served its purpose because who really knows that we have christmas trees because anciet romans brought evergreens into the house during winter solstice to celebrate? :-0

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home