Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Only three days into the new year...

...and I haven't broken any resolutions!

But that's only because I don't make any. I don't feel the need to set myself up for failure. I am successful enough at failure, so I figure, why add more?

BUT, for a household with no resolutions, you should see what we've done in these first three days:

1) Consolidated every bit of our debt into one loan. In 36 payments, we will be debt free (except for the mortgage - there's no way we could pay the house off in 3 years unless we won some sweepstakes or lottery.)

2) Shredded every credit card. We are NOT going to get into that crappy credit card cycle again! We are going to learn to budget and work with an allowance.

3) Researching a treadmill for use at home. Hubby was actually the first one to suggest it. Bye bye gym membership! Hello to walking/running while watching whatever movie/tv show I want to see!

I'm quite proud of us for doing this. I can't wait to see the fruits of our labor!

********************************************

From school today came a slip of paper in Frodo's folder. Bright yellow in color, it's a permission slip for Frodo to join chess club. At first I was surprised. Hubby and I used to fret and worry that two brainy geeks equalled a dumb jock, and that poor Frodo was destined to a life of sports and becoming an insurance salesman. But as time marches on, we're finding he's less of a jock and more like us. Thank goodness for dominant genes!

I'm not the chess player in the house. I prefer Scrabble and other word games. Hubby is the one that likes the strategy games. Frodo is liking them too.

So I signed the permission slip.

As I'm tucking it back into his folder, I ask him what about chess club interested him.

"The trophy I could win at the tournament later this year!"

Maybe he's a little bit "dumb jock" after all....

2 Comments:

At 7:31 AM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

If I mail you my credit cards will you shred those for me too? Every time I get debt free (except for the mortgage because that will never die) I find a way to spend on the plastic again. GRRR.

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Mel said...

That was the plan we HAD to follow. We needed to shred the evil plastic or I'm sure we'd end up in the same boat of debt again.

I'd be happy to shred your cards for you. My newer shredder from Office Depot has a slot just for sticking in credit cards for shredding. :) It was cool.

I will humbly admit, we did keep ONE card. It will be treated as a debit card though - anything charged on it will automatically be deducted from the checking account. Some places just won't let you do business without the plastic. For example, A*mazon dot com doesn't let me just wave a $20 bill in front of my monitor for payment. And Ho*liday Inn won't let you book a room on your good looks only.

So as long as we follow the *treat it as a debit card* rule, we'll do just fine. (But a few extra prayers on my behalf might not hurt either.... LOL.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home