Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Turkey Day is here! This is my favorite holiday - all the fun and food of christmastime without the gift part. ;)

I have two sisters, and they are usually at their in-laws for Thanksgiving. I used to go to my inlaws too, until mom-in-law passed away. (That was almost 7 yrs ago now.) Then the whole extended family get together stuff just sorta fell apart - pretty much for every holiday. Which is too bad, because my extended family inlaws are all really nice people and I actually enjoy time with them.

My sis-in law has her inlaws (or should I say *outlaws*, lol) at her house now. And years ago, I had a job where I worked evenings and weekends and some holidays, so sometimes I ended up working on Thanksgiving. Right before I left that job, hubby got his current job and often works holidays too. (There was one Christmas we BOTH worked... Ick.) We have friends that have those kinds of hours as well - sometimes working holidays (a paramedic and an RN). So a few years ago, we all decided to start having Thanksgiving together.

It started probably5 or 6 years ago - our best friends know another couple from out of state. They were chatting on the phone and complaining about the *inlaws house vs parents house* dilemma, and our friends said, "Come to our house instead!" So they did. They drove 18 hours to spend Thanksgiving weekend here. It was a blast! At that time, those of us that live here decided to do the *no blood relatives Thanksgiving* from now on, lol.

So the past 4 or 5 years, we've done it at my house. It includes myself, my dh, our ds, our best friends and their dd, and a co-worker of dh's who has no family nearby. Sometimes we add an extra person or two depending on if someone knows someone who needs a Turkey Day meal and some fun. Today's meal will be at 5pm so we can wait for our RN friend who has to work a day shift today. I'm really looking forward to it all.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe Thanksgiving!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home