Sunday, July 24, 2005

It's good to be back home...

...but sometimes (ok, pretty much ALL the time?), don't ya just wish vacation was longer?!?!? ;) I love this place we vacation dearly, so it's always hard to leave. Someday I want to live there again.

We had a great vacation. Lots of sleeping, eating, and fishing and some beer drinking thrown in for good measure as well. Frodo did lots of swimming as well.

We got there on Saturday evening and it was unbelieveably hot and humid. Then some storms moved thru that night and the next day it was barely 60, cloudy, and windy. We had a very nice *veg out* day which was good. The rest of the days were pretty much perfect weather - right around 80 and sunny.

We didn't catch enough keeper fish all at once to do a fish fry (which is fine with me because I'm not all that fond of cleaning fish, and I hate to eat fish even more), but all 4 adults there each caught a large northern. Nurse in Space caught a 25" one, Medicine Man caught a 29" one, I caught a 29", then the next day a 28", but my hubby won the biggest fish prize - he caught a 34½" northern. I've never seen such big fish come out of that lake except for the 60" musky my grandma caught in 1970 (it was longer than the state record, but weighed much less, so it wasn't considered for a record fish). We couldn't keep any of the large northern to have for fish fry as this particular lake has a special regulation saying you must immediately return any northern between 24" and 36" back to the water. (It's to help increase the fish population by natural spawning.) So we kept the fish out long enough to remove the hook, get a photo, then put it back in.

The rest of the fishing had quite a few small northern, some really nice largemouth bass, and lots of smaller largemouths as well, some rock bass, a few perch, lots of bluegills and pumpkinseeds, a few crappies (please pronounce as "crop-ee"...), and even one small walleye. Since we couldn't do the fish fry, we went out on Friday night for fish fry which I am told was the BEST FISH EVER. But since I don't like to eat fish, I had a BLT. I'll take everyone else's word for it.

That's the gist of my whole vacation. Really. I know it sounds sorta funny to hear me talk so much about fishing, but that's about all we did. We did have one poker night where grandma and grandpa joined in and took all our money. Note to self for next year - no poker with grandma and grandpa.

3 Comments:

At 4:23 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

I am glad you had a good time, it sure sounded that way!! and fishing is fun and relaxing!! Vacations and weekends are never long enough...I can't believe it's monday already!

 
At 6:15 AM , Blogger Melanie said...

Fishing is fun. I don't like to eat it either. Glad you had a good time.

BTW...I love to hear people mispronounce crappy.

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Cursing Mama said...

I'm a fisherperson who doesn't eat fish too - something about the texture...anyway glad you had a great time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home