Monday, August 15, 2005

Update on BA Day...

So after my appointment today, I stop at work because it's on my way home and I need to have a TB skin test placed or the employee health nurses will be all over me. Then I get a call from my father-in-law asking if I'd stop at Best Buy on my way because he and mom are looking at cameras and want my input and then they can take me and hubby and Frodo out to dinner. So after camera looking, then out to dinner at Country Kitchen we finally get back home. And they had asked me to mow their lawn one last time but I couldn't do it earlier today so I went over there to do it tonight. Only their lawnmower wouldn't start so I drove back home and wrestled my mower into the back of the truck and go back to their house and mow the yard. Then come back and chat with them for a bit. Then hubby calls me. Then Nurse in Space calls me. Then I finally get Frodo tucked into bed for the night. Then another friend calls. And I'm dying for a snack by now so I have a little bit of strawberry ice cream. And now I've finally got a moment to be here. It's almost 1am my time. Sheesh.

I made it to the appointment on time, even though I drove >right past> the exit I was supposed to take from the highway.... LOL. After I checked in, the nurse took me back and did the obligatory weight, height, and blood pressure. My BP was a teensy bit high - maybe because I was a nervous wreck??

She took the brief history, gave me a gown and I sat in the room for only a couple minutes and in comes the doctor. We chat awhile, go over a few things, and he takes a look. His words: "Oh yeah. The insurance will pay for this no problem." Woo Hoo!!! His estimate is that he will be able to remove about 1500 grams from each side. I won't be cruel and make you do the math. (I had to bust out the calculator myself.) That comes to 3.3 POUNDS from EACH breast. (And he can't even guarantee that will get me down to a C cup for anyone that is trying to picture that....)

He sends the nurse back in to schedule the surgery. She flips open the book and says they have an opening two weeks from today. (OMG!!!) As much as I want to take that very appointment, it would be difficult to line up the time off work, a pre-op appt. with my regular doc, and Frodo starts school that week too. So we compare calendars and the date is set: September 26th. Six weeks from today!

And get this - here I was all worried I was gonna have to come up with documentation of medical problems and they would tell me I'd have to try and lose more weight and that they'd be doing all sorts of photos and measurements and whatnot and I'd be waiting a couple weeks before I'd even hear back from the insurance company. Turns out his office has an arrangement with the insurance company - if he determines from his exam and history that a procedure needs to be done out of medical necessity, they will just cover it without tons of paperwork and all that jazz. My jaw just about hit the floor! I've never heard of an HMO being that easy-going! (Big kudos to my HMO!!!)

I am one happy camper tonight. :)

1 Comments:

At 7:33 AM , Blogger Melanie said...

That's awesome. I'm so happy for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home